A collection of Java date and time examples.
1. Java Date Time APIs
In old days, we use the following classic Date and Calendar APIs to represent and manipulate date.
java.util.Date – date and time, print with default time-zone.
java.util.Calendar – date and time, more methods to manipulate date.
java.text.SimpleDateFormat – formatting (date -> text), parsing (text -> date) for date and calendar.
In Java 8, a new series of date and time APIs (JSR310 and inspired by Joda-time) are created in the new
java.time.LocalDate – date without time, no time-zone.
java.time.LocalTime – time without date, no time-zone.
java.time.LocalDateTime – date and time, no time-zone.
java.time.ZonedDateTime – date and time, with time-zone.
java.time.DateTimeFormatter – formatting (date -> text), parsing (text -> date) for java.time
java.time.Instant – date and time for machine, seconds passed since the Unix epoch time (midnight of January 1, 1970 UTC)
java.time.Duration – Measures time in seconds and nanoseconds.
java.time.Period – Measures time in years, months and days.
java.time.TemporalAdjuster – Adjust date.
Read Oracle article – Why do we need a new date and time library?
2. Java Date and Time Examples
List of the tutorials and updated with the new Java 8
- Java Date and Calendar examples
- Java – How to compare dates
- Java – How to get current date time
- Java – How to get current timestamp
- Java – How to convert String to a Date
- Java – How to calculate elapsed time
- Java 8 – How to convert String to LocalDate
- Java 8 – How to format LocalDateTime
- Java 8 – Convert Instant to LocalDateTime
- Java 8 – Convert Instant to ZoneDateTime
- Java 8 – Convert Date to LocalDate and LocalDateTime
- Java 8 – ZonedDateTime examples
- Java – Convert date and time between timezone
- Java – Display all ZoneId and its UTC offset
- Java 8 – Duration and Period examples
- Java – How to add days to current date
- Java 8 – TemporalAdjusters examples
- Java 8 – MinguoDate examples (Taiwan calendar)
- Java 8 – HijrahDate, How to calculate the Ramadan date (Islamic calendar)
- Read Oracle article – Why do we need a new date and time library?
- Joda Time
- JSR 310: Date and Time API
- SimpleDateFormat JavaDoc
- DateTimeFormatter JavaDoc
- java.util.Date JavaDoc
- java.util.Calendar JavaDoc
- Read this – Java Date vs Calendar